Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Pantano Case Hits the Big Time

The Mudville Gazette now has the story, as do PowerLine and Michelle Malkin. Tammy Bruce evidently interviewed 2nd Lt. Pantano's mother and has a link to Defend the Defenders, but since Tammy's page is not dated, I can't tell when this happened. (Her show is on Saturday afternoons in the L. A. area.)

Speaking of Defend the Defenders, they have evidently exceeded their bandwidth... which is probably a good thing in the long run. Remember to donate when the site comes back up. (Does anyone know how to access the PayPal account? Or whatever means they use to take donations. That can be done while the main site is down, right? I know very little about such things. If anyone can suggest a way to get them money for increased bandwidth, let me know via email.)

Prosecutor-by-day John Behan at Commonwealth Conservative expresses his opinion of the legal case (such as we know it):

Okay, it needs to be said that I'm not a military prosecutor. Also, let's acknowledge that there are likely facts that are not related in the few paragraphs above.

However, on the face of this, the prosecution looks absurd, especially when you consider that this young 2d Lieutenant may face the death penalty for these "crimes." Listen, I've charged people with the death penalty, and I've had a jury come back with a death verdict. It's not a Sunday afternoon tea, and it's not an action to take lightly. I can't imagine what aggravating facts could have been left out that would call for a sentence of death. I just can't imagine.

Folks, we're talking about enemy combatants, smack in the middle of a war zone.
I can't imagine either. My natural skepticism tells me there is something more to this story than meets the eye, but I can't figure out what it could be. I would expect the media to suppress or minimize evidence that tended to exonerate a member of the military, but everything that is reported seems to point to his innocence. I am completely at a loss to explain why this man is being charged.

UPDATE: Riding Sun has further remarks (via email).

UPDATE: Paul at Prince Pundit notes
I see that Bill O’Reilly has picked up the story and aired a segment tonight with Lt. Pantano’s Attorney, Charles Gittins. Bill is not happy and he is “troubled” by it and plans to “keep an eye on it.” Bill’s initial reaction is that he does not like what is happening. This will probably generate more buzz in the blogosphere and maybe bring in more MSM.

No comments: