Sunday, June 20, 2004

Clinton Defends Bush on Iraq

Captain Ed has the scoop from CNN:

"I have repeatedly defended President Bush against the left on Iraq, even though I think he should have waited until the U.N. inspections were over."

As Captain Ed points out, the standard "should have waited until the inspections were over" line is pretty silly. Clinton did wait and the inspections were over.

And, of course, there is the obligatory reference to Abu Ghraib, which the CNN article
couldn't resist putting in the lead. But Clinton's comments on that issue seem fair as well:
"The more we learn about it, the more it seems that some people fairly high up, at least, thought that this was the way it ought to be done," he said.

Implying that the United States should lead by example, Clinton said of the abuses, "No. 1, we can't pull stunts like that, and No. 2, when we do, whoever is responsible has to pay."


I have to admit, Clinton seems to be making a pretty good ex-President. Much better than I had anticipated, at any rate.

UPDATE: Michelle Malkin puts Clinton's praise into perspective:
Bill Clinton on whether he would have supported the Persian Gulf War in 1991:

“I guess I would have voted with the majority if it was a close vote. But I agree with the arguments the minority made.”

No comments: