Thursday, October 14, 2004

Cryptanalyze This

The Sullivan quote I linked to previously about Bush's reference to Dred Scott being a coded reference to Roe v Wade got me thinking about another abortion-related comment that could similarly be encoded. This was from an in-law (a liberal Catholic) who was explaining to my wife why she didn't agree with barring Catholic pro-abortion politicians from communion. Here is her comment:

I don't agree with abortion and would never have an abortion myself. But I don't think it's right to tell a pregnant girl to carry her baby to term unless I am willing to adopt it. And I'm not in a position to do that.

Pretty standard liberal fare and actually rather unimaginative. But when properly encoded using the Dred Scott = Roe code it becomes kind of interesting:
I don't agree with slavery and would never own a slave myself. But I don't think it's right to tell a slave owner to set his slaves free unless I am willing to give them jobs. And I'm not in a position to do that.

Maybe Sullivan was on to something. Works for me.

No comments: