Monday, May 24, 2004

Assault Weapon Poll at CNN

Eugene Volokh links to this poll at CNN on whether the ban on "assault weapons" should be lifted or extended. He rightly comments:

The poll is of course invalid, because it's based on a self-selected sample -- yet its results will be available on the CNN site, and I'm sure some people will think it's accurate.

I think the assault weapons ban is a bad idea; even Tom Diaz, of the strongly pro-gun-control Violence Policy Center, acknowledges that "If the existing assault weapons ban expires, I personally do not believe it will make one whit of difference one way or another" in "reducing death and injury."
[...]
If you agree with me on this, please go here and vote in the "QuickVote" box. (If the results end up being anti-assault-weapon-ban, I certainly wouldn't endorse pushing the results as accurate data, either. But right now they're lopsidedly pro-ban; perhaps if they even out in some measure, neither side will end up making much out of this, and the data will end up being ignored, as it should be.)

I strikes me as kind of sad when the best that conservatives can strive for from the media is to be ignored. Yes, I voted to have the weapons ban lifted so that my views can be routinely discounted. So should you. Speak up so that your voice will not be heard!

No comments: